Thursday, October 22, 2009

Kyle Busch to US F1 in 2011?

NASCAR star Kyle Busch has been singled out as a key target of the new Team US F1, as the outfit continues its preparations to enter grand prix racing in 2010.

Although US F1 is unlikely to field an American driver for its debut campaign, the team is keen to get a home-grown driver in for 2011. Sporting director Peter Windsor has said that Busch is high on his list of contenders for 2011 – and would like him to test the car next year.

Speaking to USA Today, Windsor said: "If he wanted to drive for us in 2011, we'd certainly be keen on that. I think there'll be a lot of speculation about that as time goes on. If I was Kyle, I'd be saying to myself, 'Yeah, those guys all talk the talk, let's see what they do, let's see what the car's like. Let's see what the race shop is like.' Fair enough. We're going to do a good job. I know when Kyle gets to see it, I'm pretty sure it'll get his pulse rate going."

He added: "I've watched him a lot and have massive respect for him. I know people who know him very well. I believe Kyle can win a World Championship in Formula 1. I think he's got exactly the right talent, the right approach. I'd love to see him in a Formula 1 car.

"If he wants to jump in our car next year for doing some demonstrations here in the States, he's very welcome to do that."

Windsor has revealed that he has already met with Busch's business team, and he is well aware that the American driver's contract with Joe Gibbs Racing expires at the end of next season.

Busch himself said earlier this year that he would not totally rule out a switch to F1, providing he achieved title success in NASCAR.

"It's definitely something I wouldn't shoot down," he was quoted as saying shortly after the official launch of US F1. "If I could win a championship (in NASCAR) in the next two or three years, then I wouldn't mind going doing (F1) for a few years and coming back.

"I think I'd still be young enough that if I could win a championship by 25, go run Formula 1 for a few years and be back (in NASCAR) by 28."

This article originally appeared in Autosport.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment